My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia for the Internet, and on improving the way we design, implement, specify, and standardise network protocols.
I'm an active participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), where I help develop the technical standards that describe the operation of the Internet, and where I played a key role in developing globally deployed multimedia transport and signalling protocol standards that underpin modern video conferencing platforms. I co-chair the IETF's Real-time Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and previously co-chaired the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups.
Prior to joining the University of Glasgow, I was a Research Assistant Professor at the University of Southern California, and before that a Research Fellow at University College London. I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 22 February 2021 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-interface-11
- 22 February 2021 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-iab-covid19-workshop-01
- 3 February 2021 research Research service: TPC member for IFIP Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference 2021
- 1 February 2021 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-iab-covid19-workshop-00
- 29 January 2021 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-19
- 20 January 2021 publications New publication: RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Feedback for Congestion Control
- 20 January 2021 publications New publication: SDP: Session Description Protocol
- 19 January 2021 publications New publication: Sending Multiple RTP Streams in a Single RTP Session: Grouping RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Reception Statistics and Other Feedback
- 19 January 2021 publications New publication: Guidelines for Using the Multiplexing Features of RTP to Support Multiple Media Streams
- 19 January 2021 publications New publication: Sending Multiple Types of Media in a Single RTP Session
- ... ... Older news...