My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 9 July 2020 research Multi-Service Networks Workshop 2020
- 7 July 2020 external CircleID: Evolving the Internet Through COVID-19 and Beyond
- 1 July 2020 external UoG: Edge computing research with Rakuten Mobile
- 30 June 2020 research Research service: TPC member for IEEE ICC Next Generation Networking and Internet Symposium 2021
- 30 June 2020 research Research service: TPC member for IEEE Infocom 2021
- 26 June 2020 photos Photos: Forlorn
- 22 June 2020 research Panel on the Future of Internet Transport at IFIP Networking 2020
- 21 June 2020 photos Photos: Got my ducks in a row
- 17 June 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-mcquistin-quic-augmented-diagrams-01
- 17 June 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-mcquistin-augmented-ascii-diagrams-05
- ... ... Older news...