My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 3 April 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-14
- 25 March 2020 standards Presentation at IETF 107: IRTF Plenary Report
- 20 March 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13
- 11 March 2020 research Research service: TPC member for ACM SIGCOMM workshop on Evolution, Performance, and Interoperability of QUIC (EPIQ) 2020
- 9 March 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-arch-07
- 9 March 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-mcquistin-augmented-ascii-diagrams-03
- 9 March 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-cc-feedback-message-06
- 9 March 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-interface-06
- 9 March 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-impl-06
- 5 March 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-transport-security-11
- ... ... Older news...