My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 26 May 2019 photos Photos: Iceland - IAB Retreat
- 3 May 2019 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-35
- 28 April 2019 research CFP: ACM/IRTF Applied Networking Research Workshop 2019
- 27 April 2019 photos Photos: Dinosaur Day
- 17 April 2019 research FRμIT at the HiPEAC Systems Week
- 31 March 2019 standards Appointed IRTF chair
- 31 March 2019 photos Photos: Prague morning - IETF 104
- 27 March 2019 standards Presentation at IETF 104: IRTF Plenary Report
- 27 March 2019 standards Presentation at IETF 104: Real-time Transport for QUIC
- 26 March 2019 standards Presentation at IETF 104: RTP Congestion Control Feedback (AVTCORE)
- ... ... Older news...