My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 20 July 2019 research Improving protocol standards at IETF 105
- 14 July 2019 research RTP Congestion Control Feedback: Update from IETF 104 (Prague) Hackathon
- 8 July 2019 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-impl-04
- 8 July 2019 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-interface-04
- 8 July 2019 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-taps-arch-04
- 8 July 2019 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-cc-feedback-message-04
- 8 July 2019 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-mcquistin-augmented-ascii-diagrams-00
- 6 July 2019 research Streamlining Social Decision Making for Improved Internet Standards
- 5 July 2019 research Improving protocol standards at the 31st Multi-Service Networks Workshop
- 4 July 2019 standards Talk about IRTF at 31st Multi-Service Networks workshop
- ... ... Older news...