My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 28 November 2020 photos Photos: Glasgow haze
- 24 November 2020 research PhD studentships in Glasgow CS
- 23 November 2020 standards Keynote at VII Workshop Pré-IETF
- 21 November 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-rfc7983bis-00
- 20 November 2020 standards Keynote at IEEE LATINCOM '2020
- 20 November 2020 standards Presentation at IETF 109: IRTF Open Meeting Agenda
- 19 November 2020 standards Presentation at IETF 109: Multiplexing Updates for QUIC
- 19 November 2020 standards Presentation at IETF 109: RTP Congestion Control Feedback
- 19 November 2020 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-aboba-avtcore-rfc7983bis-01
- 18 November 2020 standards Presentation at IETF 109: IRTF Plenary Report
- ... ... Older news...