- Brian Trammell, Colin Perkins, Tommy Pauly, Mirja Kuehlewind, and Chris Wood, Post Sockets, An Abstract Programming Interface for the Transport Layer (.txt|.pdf), Internet Engineering Task Force, September 2017, Work in progress (draft-trammell-taps-post-sockets-01.txt).
This version is a major update that:
- synchronises with our paper in the IFIP Networking workshop on Future of Internet Transport;
- redraws and clarifies the Abstractions and Terminology diagram;
- reworks the mechanism for handling content of indeterminate length, introducing the concepts of Complete and Partial Messages, allowing Post Sockets to directly support raw TCP streams;
- expands the discussion of message priority, lifetimes, dependencies, etc.
- expands the discussion of Associations that exist without a Carrier, for example to maintain cryptographic state between connections, and their associated Policy Context;
- adds an example of association bootstrapping;
- expands the implementation considerations section, especially around Protocol Stack Instances; Message Framing, Parsing, and Serialization; and Associations, Transients, Racing, and Rendezvous;
- and temporarily removes the API sketch.
- Brian Trammell, Colin Perkins, Tommy Pauly, and Mirja Kuehlewind, Post Sockets, An Abstract Programming Interface for the Transport Layer (.txt|.pdf), Internet Engineering Task Force, March 2017, Work in progress (draft-trammell-taps-post-sockets-00.txt).
This draft contains significant changes (the authors hope, improvements) from the previous version, in large part taken from input at a meeting held by the authors with a few invited contributors at ETH Zürich in February.
This draft replaces draft-trammell-post-sockets.