My research interests are on network transport protocols, with a particular focus on transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia, and on network protocol design, implementation, and specification. My current research is into post-Sockets APIs and transport services, the implications of QUIC on real-time applications and network operations, and improving the way we specify network protocol standards.
I'm a long-time participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). I co-chair the RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques working group, and was previously co-chair of the Audio/Video Transport and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I played a key role in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport and signalling protocols such as RTP, SDP, and the WebRTC media transport layer.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my PhD in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 12 March 2019 research Scottish Networking Event (SCONE) #21
- 18 February 2019 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-04
- 15 February 2019 research Research service: TPC member for ACM SIGCOMM 2019 workshop on Evolution, Performance, and Interoperability of QUIC (EPIQ) 2019
- 23 December 2018 research RTP Congestion Control Feedback: Updates from Bangkok Hackathon
- 23 December 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-cc-feedback-message-03
- 18 December 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-32
- 17 December 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4566bis-31
- 14 December 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-08
- 7 December 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-07
- 5 December 2018 research Real-time Audio-Visual Media Transport over QUIC
- ... ... Older news...