I'm a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in the School of Computing Science at the University of Glasgow. My research is on network transport protocols, and in particular transport protocols for real-time and interactive multimedia. I co-chair the IETF's RTP Media Congestion Avoidance Techniques (RMCAT) working group, and was previously chair of the Audio/Video Transport (AVT) and Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working groups. I was instrumental in helping to develop globally deployed standard multimedia transport protocols such as RTP and SDP, and have more recently edited the WebRTC media transport specification in the IETF.
My current research interests include Post Sockets, a re-imagining the network transport API based on experience with applications development, changes to the network, and a better understanding of transport services, that aims to develop a higher-level alternative API to make it easier to use new transport protocol and network features. With the introduction of new transports, such as QUIC, and new transport services, such as multipath and connection racing, it's becoming increasingly difficult for application developers to make effective use of the network. Post Sockets aims to ease this development, and better support emerging and future applications. I further work on the implication of transport protocol security on network management and operations, in particular the implications of QUIC on the network, and on improving network protocol standards.
I received my BEng in Electronic Engineering in 1992, and my DPhil in 1996, both from the Department of Electronics at the University of York. I'm a fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and IET.
- 7 December 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-avtcore-multiplex-guidelines-07
- 5 December 2018 research Real-time Audio-Visual Media Transport over QUIC
- 4 December 2018 publications New publication: Real-time Audio-Visual Media Transport over QUIC
- 1 December 2018 research Research service: TPC member for IEEE Global Internet Symposium 2019
- 1 December 2018 research Research service: TPC member for International Teletraffic Congress 2019
- 25 November 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-03
- 24 November 2018 standards Submitted internet-draft: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-02
- 10 November 2018 research Real-time Media, RTP, and QUIC
- 10 November 2018 research Post Sockets at IETF 103
- 10 November 2018 research What is the Impact of Encrypting Transport-layer Protocol Headers? (update)
- ... ... Older news...